Much of central Maryland consists of the coastal plain, a geographical swath of land bordering the Chesapeake Bay. This vast region contains notably sandy soil, which is, unfortunately, a great attractor of termite colonies. Central Marylanders know termites well; to make sure you catch them before they get far by knowing the signs of termite damage.
Signs of Termite Damage
- “Sawdust”: If you see orangish-brown sawdust gathering in places like the windowsill or floor, you’re looking at termite droppings. After eating the wood, they deposit sawdust-like material.
- Swarms: If you have come across a swarm of winged insects in your house, it’s likely termites. When mature, some will leave to find a new home.
- Discarded wings: If you’ve missed the exodus, you might see the scale-like wings they drop behind around window sills or the home’s foundation.
- Pin-point holes: Needle-thin black holes on the interior walls is another sign of termite damage.
- Bubbling walls: If you notice bubbling, soft drywall or peeling paint that seems like water damage, termites could be present.
- Walls that sound hollow
- Rotten walls: Cutting out a small section of the drywall can reveal rotten wood behind it.
- Windows or doors that get stuck
- Squeaky, buckling, or uneven floorboards
- Flying termite gatherings anywhere on your property
What to Do Next
If you notice these signs of termite damage, address the problem as soon as possible. Damaged walls means poor insulation and possible damage to your home’s supporting beams. The first thing to do is to call a termite exterminator to assess and treat the situation.
How North Arundel Contracting Can Help
After the termite company clears the pests out, you’ll then need a general contracting company that can repair the walls. This type of work could include exterior framing, interior framing, insulation replacement, window and door replacement, flooring replacement, and drywall installation. It can be difficult to assess how much the termites have damaged the walls, which is why it is important to hire a company that can handle the worst-case scenario.
Thankfully, North Arundel Contracting, located in Glen Burnie, Maryland, is able to do all these projects and much more. Aside from emergency restoration services, they are also a full-service general contracting company.
QUESTIONS? NORTH ARUNDEL CONTRACTING IS HERE TO HELP!
If you have more questions about preventing fires in your home, North Arundel Contracting is here to help you out. Our trained professionals can teach you everything there is to know about emergency and general contracting services. Call us any time at 410-766-2855 or reach us by fax at 410-553-2367. Feel free to send us an email at [email protected] For after-hours emergencies, call us at 410-541-0328. For tips, tricks, and to see what we have been up to, be sure to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.