The holidays bring much cheer and goodwill, but it’s also the time for fire risks. The winter cold and festive lighting come with less prevalent risks than any other time of the year. Looking at the primary fire hazards of the season, let’s go over the top fire prevention tips for the holidays.
If you use candles with real flames, make sure to set them on a sturdy base and monitor them while lit. Also, keep your candles a foot away from all other flammable objects, like fabrics or wreaths. Never allow them to burn when you are asleep or out of the house. LED candles might be a safer option if you have young children.
If not done safely, Christmas lights outside and inside your home can also pose an electrical hazard. So, before wrapping the tree with light strings, ensure no wires are broken or frayed. If they are, throw them out. Another fire prevention tip is to avoid overloading circuits around your house and distribute your lights as evenly as possible. Remember not to overload circuits shared by large appliances, such as refrigerators.
Moreover, many house fires occur due to a heat source near the Christmas tree or another flammable object. If you utilize a space heater, keep it in a spacious area along with a 20-amp circuit. To help your tree out, hydrate it daily to avoid it becoming brittle.
Fire prevention in your home also includes cleaning the chimney. Unfortunately, fires may start from one that’s dirty. If your chimney has not had a professional sweep in a long time, ensure your fireplace is safe before you kindle the wood.
Even though it’s not one’s first image regarding Christmas and New Year’s, clothes dryers can also cause fires, mainly in January. The most common reason is perhaps due to not cleaning the lint tray. It’s also vital to keep the area around the dryer clean and the dryer vent outside free from snow or debris and avoid setting the dryer temperature too high. You may also assist by not overloading your dryer and monitoring the appliance while it works.
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Lastly, your house will not be ready for fires unless you have fire prevention allies protecting your home. For instance, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors must be on every house floor, including the basement. In addition, keep them loaded with fresh batteries so they will be ready to sound the alarm if necessary.
QUESTIONS? NORTH ARUNDEL CONTRACTING IS HERE TO HELP!
If you have more questions about our services for your home or commercial facility, North Arundel Contracting is here to help you out. Our trained professionals can teach you everything there is to know about emergency and general contracting services. Call us any time at 410-766-2855 or reach us by fax at 410-553-2367. Feel free to send us an email at [email protected]. For after-hours emergencies, call us at 410-541-0328. For tips, tricks, and to see what we have been up to, be sure to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.