Skip Navigation

Signs of Electrical Wiring Problems

Signs of Electrical Wiring Problems

Catch these electrical wiring problems before they spark danger.

You have completely written out your to-do list of home renovations. You’ll plan to tackle several this year and have some ideas for what to do beyond that. You may have already put a lot of work into the house and are proud of how far this fixer-upper has come. The worst that could happen is a house fire. Before you renovate the house any further, be sure that your electrical wiring is safe and sound, and watch out for these common problems.

Loose Outlets

Loose outlet covers may seem annoying at most, but with use over time, the loose panel could shake the wires loose. If the wires become free, it could lead to sparking and fire hazards. Thankfully, it is a relatively simple project that any DIYer can accomplish.

Aluminum Wiring

If your home has aluminum wiring, it may be time to put replacing your electrical wiring as a priority. Aluminum wiring became the norm in construction during the 60s and 70s as a cost-effective replacement for copper. However, aluminum oxidizes faster, making it far more lethal than copper.

Hot Outlets

Electrical outlets should never be warm or hot to the touch. If the outlet is hot, unplug anything connected to it at once, turn off the power, and inspect for damaged wiring. The only instance in which warm outlets are not dangerous is if one is using a dimmer switch, which sheds excess energy to create the dimmed effect. Even so, no type of outlet should ever feel hot to the touch.

Burning Outlets

If you see signs of burning on the outlet plate, you know you have a fire hazard on hand. You may even smell burning coming from the outlet. Turn off the power at once and investigate the cause safely. It could be that you’ve overloaded the circuit or because of damaged or faulty wiring. It is best to let the professionals handle electric wiring.

Flickering Lights

Flickering lights indicate a loose electrical connection and can be more or less extensive. It could be contained within one single light fixture. It could also affect an entire room, in which case the circuit problem would be deeper in the system. If the whole house’s lighting dims, the problem could lie in the electrical panel.


If you have more questions about preventing fires in your home, North Arundel Contracting is here to help you out. Our trained professionals can teach you everything there is to know about emergency and general contracting services. Call us any time at 410-766-2855 or reach us by fax at 410-553-2367. Feel free to send us an email at [email protected]. For after-hours emergencies, call us at 410-541-0328. For tips, tricks, and to see what we have been up to, be sure to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 7th, 2021 at 4:23 pm. Both comments and pings are currently closed.