July 4th is approaching soon! This Independence Day, safety continues to be a priority. While social distancing may be a thing of the past in 2021, proper fire safety precautions are not. Keep you and your party safe this Independence Day with these safety tips for 4th of July!
Over 50,000 fires typically happen on July 4th every year from firework malfunctions. One should keep in mind several rules for a smart and safe celebration:
- Do not make your own fireworks or sparklers. It is best to go to the store and buy commercial products instead. Do not disassemble fireworks either, but use them as instructed.
- Do not allow small children or pets to have access to sparklers or fireworks.
- Light your fireworks and sparklers in a spacious, dry place with an open sky; if you have an open street available, it is best to light them on the asphalt or concrete; grass would be a bad idea.
- Keep your vehicles, trash cans, and other items away from the fireworks. Sparks can get on nearby items and start a fire.
- Do not point these combustibles at yourself or others.
- If the firework malfunctions, douse it with water and throw it out.
- Keep a fire extinguisher or a couple of buckets of water at hand in case of a fire.
- Sit back and enjoy, keeping yourselves, pets, and kids at a safe distance.
Nothing says “4th of July” like a barbecue! Unfortunately, this often means that grilling fires increase during this festive time. Some grilling safety tips for 4th of July include the following:
- Never grill in an enclosed space, such as a house, a shed, a garage, or any other building.
- Inspect the grill for leaky, cracked, clogged, or broken gas grill hoses.
- Keep children away from the grill, as gas leaks, stoppages, and propane tanks can cause explosions.
- Keep the grill at a safe distance from flammable items like the house and trees and keep it on a fireproof, flat surface. If you have your grill on a deck, you could need a grill mat depending on the model.
Swimming & Other Water Activities
Another fun activity during July 4th is swimming or being out on the water. On a hot summer day, everyone wants to take a dip! Here are some ways to stay safe:
- Set safety rules for the family, especially if you have young children.
- Never let kids go swimming without adult supervision.
- Never drink alcohol before swimming or operating a boat.
- Follow all boating safety guidelines.
QUESTIONS? NORTH ARUNDEL CONTRACTING IS HERE TO HELP!
If you have more questions about preventing fires in your home, North Arundel Contracting is here to help you out. Our trained professionals can teach you everything there is to know about emergency and general contracting services. Call us any time at 410-766-2855 or reach us by fax at 410-553-2367. Feel free to send us an email at [email protected]. For after-hours emergencies, call us at 410-541-0328. For tips, tricks, and to see what we have been up to, be sure to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.