July is the month of campfires, outdoor grilling, and of course, fireworks. Unfortunately, July is one of the most hazardous months when it comes to fires. Thousands of Americans get injured or suffer home damage because of outdoor and indoor fires. To stay safe this month and for the rest of summer, be sure to follow these fire safety guidelines.
Grill fires make up a significant percentage of the fires that occur in the summer. Always read the safety instructions for handling the grill, and make sure to clean the appliance after every use. Too many fires happen because of a dirty grill. Keep loose, flammable items away from the grilling station and check for leaks or broken parts before firing it up.
Fire Pit Safety
Outdoor fire pits are the counterparts of grills when it comes to summer cooking. Check the weather report for wind and wind direction. If it is too strong or is blowing toward your house, it’s better not to light the fire. Make sure to use the right type of wood for burning, to keep the fire in the open, and to always supervise it. Keep extra wood at a safe distance and an extinguisher, like a bucket of water, on hand.
The general rule is to let the professionals handle the fireworks. While it may be fun to set off your own fireworks, doing so carelessly can cause severe injuries and damage. Heed warnings and enjoy fireworks at a public display instead.
Flammable Liquids Safety
As always, keep flammable liquids such as propane and gasoline away from the grill and fire pit in a safe, well-ventilated storage area, like a shed. Make sure that the containers have no leaks, are sealed tightly, and stand upright.
Meanwhile, there are plenty of ways to keep your home’s fire safety in check for the summer and the rest of the year. Keep your HVAC system in check and well-cleaned to prevent the possibility of an electrical fire. Make sure to change the air filter and clean the dryer filter regularly, as dust from these parts often cause house fires. Know whether your electrical system is safe as well; an outdated model or ancient wiring can overload and also start a fire. Lastly, check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and change the batteries if necessary.
TRUST NORTH ARUNDEL CONTRACTING WITH YOUR COMMERCIAL CLEANING NEEDS!
Feel free to get in touch with us at our contact page. Reach us by telephone at 410-766-2855, or by fax at 410-553-2367. Our email is firstname.lastname@example.org. For after-hours emergencies ONLY, reach us by pager at 410-541-0328. Be our friend on social media! Pin us on Pinterest. Here is our Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Lastly, find us on LinkedIn.