Most homeowners will eventually experience plumbing issues, especially garbage disposal plumbing problems. The fact is that it’s not easy to turn on the garbage disposal to eliminate your trash, and it’s gone. So, homeowners should be cautious about what they dispose of to keep their units operating well.
How Does the Garbage Disposal Work?
First of all, there are no cutting blades that chop up unwanted food into small pieces. Instead, metal impellers utilize massive force to grind waste against a stationary ring. As a result, this grinding process breaks down the trash into virtual liquid. Furthermore, turning on the water will push the particles out of the ring, outside the disposal, and into the wastewater pipe. So, how can you minimize garbage disposal plumbing issues?
Items to Avoid Disposing into the Garbage Disposal
Fortunately, you may reduce garbage disposal plumbing issues by not disposing of the following items:
- Oil or grease
- Combustible items
- Paper, glass, metal, or plastic
- Cigarette butts
- Animal bones
- Harsh cleaning liquids
- Fibrous foods like onion skins, corn husks, potato peels, and celery stalks. These food items can entangle around the impellers and stop the motor from functioning.
- Coffee grounds and eggshells don’t hurt your garbage disposal but can provoke plumbing issues.
More Helpful Tips
Check out more additional tips to avoid garbage disposal plumbing issues:
- Maintain the water running for 15 seconds after grinding because this will flush out the remaining particles.
- Also, run cold water and dispose of small pieces of unwanted food into the garbage disposal one piece at a time.
- Lastly, clean your disposal by flushing it with water and borax. Additionally, grind up ice cubes and tiny lemon slices to prevent foul odors.
Reach Out to a Professional
Remember, sometimes replacing the garbage disposal if you plan to repair it is convenient. We recommend trusting the plumbing professionals at North Arundel Contracting for your plumbing issues, but you can help keep your disposal working with regular cleanings and unclogging. Call NAC today at (410) 766-2855.
QUESTIONS? NORTH ARUNDEL CONTRACTING IS HERE TO HELP!
If you have more questions about our services for your home or commercial facility, North Arundel Contracting is here to help you out. Our trained professionals can teach you everything there is to know about emergency and general contracting services. Call us any time at 410-766-2855 or reach us by fax at 410-553-2367. Feel free to send us an email at [email protected]. For after-hours emergencies, call us at 410-541-0328. For tips, tricks, and to see what we have been up to, be sure to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.