If you have an HVAC system, you don’t want to neglect it. While it can be helpful to hire an HVAC contractor for installation and repair, and in some cases even necessary, if you are a DIY-er, there may be some things you want to tackle yourself. Below are some tips for things you can DIY when it comes to your HVAC system.
Changing Your Air Conditioning Filter
Changing your air conditioning filter is an essential step in maintaining your air filter. The good news is that is it easy to do, and far less expensive than all of the problems that can arise from a dirty filter. Here is how to replace it.
- Find the filter compartment in your machine. It is probably covered with a strip of metal which can be easily removed so you can insert or remove your filter.
- Find out the size filter that you will need for replacement. On most filters, the dimensions of it are written on the side, making this easy. If not, measure the length, width, and depth of your filter yourself. Be sure to round up to the nearest whole inch.
- Get a replacement filter in the right size. Filters also come in different MERV ratings, which describe their efficiency. If you live in a particularly warm or dusty climate, or are sensitive to household allergens, you will want to purchase a higher efficiency filter.
- Place the new air filter in your HVAC system in the right direction. Be sure to note the direction of airflow that is marked on the edges of your old filter and how it is placed before you remove it. Then install your new filter in the same exact way.
- Be sure to replace your filter according to manufacturer specifications and dispose of your old filter.
Cleaning Your Air Conditioning Unit
Cleaning your air conditioning unit is a more involved project which can take hours. Thus, many people choose to call for professional help instead. However, if you love DIY home projects, this is certainly one you can tackle. You will need to clean the exterior condenser as well as all of the accessible areas of the indoor evaporator. It is important to do this on the right day, as it needs to be at least 60 degrees outdoors for you to be able to test your machine thoroughly.
CALL ON NORTH ARUNDEL CONTRACTING FOR YOUR HOME’S HVAC SYSTEM!
Feel free to get in touch with us on our contact page. Reach us by telephone at 410-766-2855, or by fax at 410-553-2367. Our email is [email protected] For after hours emergencies ONLY, reach us by pager at 410-541-0328. Be our friend on social media! Pin us on Pinterest. Here is our Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Lastly, find us on LinkedIn.