Are your drains making odd noises? Are they operating slowly due to clogs? These may be symptoms of a significant problem. There could be problems with the sewage system, which might be coming back inside your home. Here’s what to do when handling sewage cleanup.
What to Know About Sewage Problems
Sewage problems can occur due to tree roots, blocked pipes, and substances like oils, fats, and grease being disposed down the drain. And although most people enjoy using flushable wipes, they are not as flushable as you may think. Unfortunately, they can clog up sewage drains. In addition, excessive rainfall can create backups and other problems if sewage systems mix with stormwater systems.
Managing Sewage Cleanup
You should find out where any lingering water is. You may also have to seek the location of the sewer drain cleanout. It should be close to your house, connected to the lateral line joining your home’s line with the main sewage line. Additionally, turn off the power supply before proceeding because electricity and water do not mix. Even though you might be able to handle sewage cleanup, you should consider professional assistance.
Remember to do the following if you decide to handle the sewage cleanup yourself:
- Make sure to wear protective gloves, boots, and goggles.
- Avoid using any chemicals while attempting to clean.
- Consider renting pumps to help clear the water out.
After handling the sewage cleanup, you should complete the following:
- Ensure your AC ductwork isn’t compromised by the sewage, and turn it on. Alternatively, you may use fans and open windows to facilitate circulation.
- Remove anything that has been soaked by sewage. This includes carpets, furniture, and so on. You can also put small, valuable items like pictures and books into a plastic bag and store them in the freezer. The freezer will slow mold growth on these items.
- Cut out and replace damaged drywall. If your home has vinyl wallpaper, you must remove it so it can dry faster.
QUESTIONS? NORTH ARUNDEL CONTRACTING IS HERE TO HELP!
If you have more questions about our services for your home or commercial facility, North Arundel Contracting is here to help you out. Our trained professionals can teach you everything there is to know about emergency and general contracting services. Call us any time at 410-766-2855 or reach us by fax at 410-553-2367. Feel free to send us an email at [email protected]. For after-hours emergencies, call us at 410-541-0328. For tips, tricks, and to see what we have been up to, be sure to follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.