Skip Navigation

Dealing with Mold in Your Bathroom in Savage

Just about everyone has had mold in their house at one point or another. The lucky ones have only had it on the odd loaf of bread or old leftovers. Most people, however, experience mold in the moistest room in the house, the bathroom. Mold is more than an eyesore – all molds can cause issues for people with allergies and some mold (like black mold) can make everyone sick.

Dealing with Mold in Your Bathroom in Savage
Most people, however, experience mold in the moistest room in the house, the bathroom.

Where Does It Come From?

The short answer is that it grows wherever there is moisture. Your bathroom is a prime place for mold growth because it is so often moist: during and after showers, when the toilet bowl sweats, and when people wash their hands. While you can’t keep the bathroom dry (water is why it’s there after all), you can limit the water and moisture that hangs around.

Stopping The Growth

Mold needs a consistently wet environment to grow and flourish, so if you have mold, you need to locate the source of the water. One of the more common sources is a leaky faucet that wets a surface near it, like the tub surround or counter. Another common source is the moist air during and after a shower. Most bathrooms have an exhaust vent or window that can remove the moist air. If you don’t (or it’s broken, or you don’t open the window), the moist air could be causing the mold to grow. The shower or tub grout is another common place for mold to grow, thanks to the caked on soap and regular application of shower water. Drain clogs are another common home for mold, though much easier to get rid of than others. The clog holds on to moisture and the body oil and soap scum that’s trapped in the clog encourage mold. But if you get rid of the clog, hopefully, the mold goes with it. Finally, the mold could be growing because of a leak behind your wall (from a pipe) or through your wall (through a crack in the grout or tiles). Once water gets into drywall and mildew starts to grow, it is tough to get rid of. Also, if the source is behind your wall, the problem will be huge by the time you see it on the surface.

Killing Mold

A bleach and water solution is recommended for removing mold from surfaces, but bleach won’t kill it. Once you’ve addressed the source of the moisture, you may need to call in a mold remediation specialist to really make sure it’s all gone.


If you have even more questions about  how to get rid of it, or if you want the professionals to take care of it for you, you can trust North Arundel Contracting. Reach us by telephone at 410-766-2855 or by fax at 410-553-2367 and visit us online. Shoot us an email at [email protected] and for after-hours emergencies, page us at 410-541-0328. To find out what we are up to, or for more tips and tricks, follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

This entry was posted on Friday, February 1st, 2019 at 2:25 pm. Both comments and pings are currently closed.