Water damage can cause havoc all over your home. It doesn’t matter if it affects the roof, the ceilings, the walls, or the floor. But water damage in your basement can be even worse. It can be so bad that it can ruin your basement and force you to find a new place to live. Here’s what Clarksville homeowners can do.
There are plenty of ways water can affect your basement. How does it get in there, you might wonder? One possibility is the presence of malfunctioning appliances such as washing machines, deep sinks, and storage freezers. However, any water that soaks into the soil around the foundation of your Clarksville home is the leading culprit of basement leaks and water damage. Rainy weather almost always happens during a Maryland autumn, so the hydrostatic pressure, or water pressure, from all of that rain can push into your basement.
Clogged gutters and downspouts also increase the chances of water damage in your basement due to leaks. This is caused by lateral or sideways pressure from the soil. More leaks will start to form, especially if the windows looking in on your basement fill up with excessive amounts of condensation.
Water Damage in the Basement
So here’s a quick look at how water can infiltrate your basement:
- Cracks in walls, doors, windows, and floors;
- Joints between concrete floors and the brick wall;
- Any cracks in mortar sealing gaps in walls or floors.
Sealing the Leaks
So the question is, how can you fix the leaks? If it’s all too much for you, then you can put your trust in the experts at North Arundel Contracting. However, there are some things you can try first, such as:
- Cleaning out your gutters: The first step of preventing water damage involves cleaning debris out of your gutters. This will stop water from flooding into your Clarksville basement.
- Grade the soil: Then, work on the soil around the outside of your home before it gets too cold outside. Move the soil away from your house so that the water runs into the lawn and not into the foundation.
- Waterproof your foundation: If your basement is prone to flooding, then it’s a good sign you should add a waterproofing system. Drain tiles and drainage systems can catch water and send it to a sump pump, which can help you stop water damage before it begins.
QUESTIONS? TRUST NORTH ARUNDEL CONTRACTING
If you have even more questions about water damage and its associated repair services or if you want the professionals to take care of it for you, you can trust North Arundel Contracting. Reach us by telephone at 410-766-2855 or by fax at 410-553-2367 and visit us online. Shoot us an email at [email protected] and for after-hours emergencies, page us at 410-541-0328. To find out what we are up to, or for more tips and tricks, follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.